Saturday, November 7, 2009

01/W FD Fix - LCD and FDD replacement (2009) Part4

The modification of FDD is a lot easier than the LCD module. According to the Ken’s Online Guide to 01/W site, Korg service or other service stores charges more than $150 only for the now almost regacy 3.5 FDD and used compatible models (TEAC or Yedata) are scarce to get at a low price.

During my research, I could also get the service manual of 01/W PRO (almost the same as 01/W FD). I googled for the controller chip for the 01/W FD’s FDD and found that it does not use Disk Change (DC) signal but Ready signal (RDY). I also found that people who still play with MSX game computer modifies the old “2DD” FDD with recent 2HD models.

According to the PDF information by Yedata FDD, which shows jumper settings for 01/W FD and Ken’s site information, I also knew that DS0 (Drive select 0) must be jumpered instead of DS1.

I used ordinary, widely-used Samsung 2HD drive, which I bought at only two dollars. According to the PDF datasheet of Samsung SFD321, there is other settings regarding OPA or OPB plugs, but you don’t need to modify these. (SFD321 has many different revisions, be sure to find one with RDY and DC connections).
Don't forget to put a tape to block the HD/DD hole in the 2HD floppy disk to have the FDD work in 2DD mode.




(Above : FDD model/Rev. I used. The original connection is DS1. Remove the solder and connect DS0 instead)

When you remove the solders, if you use vacuum type desoldering device, it could damage the circuit. You’d better use solder-wick not to damage circuit and to get neat result.

One important tip is that if you try to connect the FDD cable as it goes in, the cable #1 will not match the Pin-1 of the drive. You should cut out the black plastic case in the center (red boxed area above) to make the correct pin and cable connection. Make sure if the blue colored cable line goes into Pin-1 side.




(Above : Remove the 0 ohm resistance on DC and move it to RDY)









(Above : Replaced LCD screen, if the contrast goes up to over 5, it becomes too
pinky/white – the appropriate contrast number depends on the variable resistance setting)


Written by Jay In, a member of Yahoo 01/W-list group.

(Note that lots of information exist in the Yahoo 01/W group)














2 comments:

  1. hello I have a keyboard korg 01/we he is with the lamp burned when light from habiente I'm playing off I can not access anything!! Keyboard I wonder how I can find for purchase.
      because here in the city has neither authorized korg one that sells parts. quarreled await response.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello I have a keyboard korg 01/we he is with the lamp burned when light from habiente I'm playing off I can not access anything!! Keyboard I wonder how I can find for purchase.
      because here in the city has neither authorized korg one that sells parts. quarreled await response.

    ReplyDelete